The age of specialization in biking suffered one other dying blow at the moment as cyclocross World Champion Tom Pidcock of INEOS, an ace of the cobbled classics as nicely, took a vastly spectacular solo victory on Alpe d’Huez to win stage 12 of the Tour de France. The 22-year-old Brit appeared in control of the day’s breakaway, which he cut up on a number of events and deserted altogether early on within the ultimate climb of the day, with solely Louis Meintjes of Intermarché-Wanty anyplace near hanging on. Even four-time Tour winner Chris Froome of Israel Premier Tech couldn’t dangle with Tour debutante Pidcock, ending two minutes again.
Behind them, the maillot jaune was theoretically up for grabs and defending champion Tadej Pogačar of UAE rebounded from yesterday’s resounding defeat by Jumbo’s Jonas Vingegaard, launching a pair of blistering assaults to see if the Dane would present any weak spot. But it surely wasn’t to be, Vingegaard too had recovered from his effort on the Col du Granon, and was capable of latch rapidly onto the wheel of Pogačar every time. Within the course of, the pair distanced second-placed Romain Bardet, who misplaced 19 seconds and fell to fourth general. Geraint Thomas of INEOS misplaced the highest two however repeatedly spun again to hold on for third general, whereas his teammate Adam Yates conceded time to the leaders and appears like he’s destined to help Thomas’ effort within the Pyrenees subsequent week.
- Tom Pidcock INEOS Grenadiers, 04:55:24
- Louis Meintjes Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert, + 48
- Chris Froome Israel-Premier Tech, + 02:06
- Neilson Powless EF Schooling-EasyPost, + 02:29
- Tadej Pogacar UAE Workforce Emirates, + 03:23
- Jonas Vingegaard Jumbo-Visma, + 03:23
- Geraint Thomas INEOS Grenadiers, + 03:23
- Enric Mas Movistar Workforce, + 03:26
- Sepp Kuss Jumbo-Visma, + 03:26
- Giulio Ciccone Trek-Segafredo, + 03:32
- Vingegaard, 46:28:46
- Pogacar, + 02:22
- Thomas, + 02:26
- Bardet, + 02:35
- Yates, + 03:44
- Nairo Quintana, Workforce Arkéa-Samsic, + 03:58
- David Gaudu, Groupama-FDJ, + 04:07
- Pidcock, + 07:39
- Mas, + 09:32
- Aleksandr Vlasov BORA-hansgrohe, + 10:06
Briançon – Alpe d’Huez 165.1 km
A nicely rested peloton come to this monster stage after a soothing and uneventful day yesterday. The Alpe on Bastille Day is a superb recipe for insanity.
Anticipated end: 17:55 – 18:30 CEST
Frenchman of the Day : Bauke Mollema
There’s something to be stated for custom and a Dutchman successful on the Dutch mountain matches the invoice.