Italian Cream Cake is a southern-style cake is bursting with pecan, coconut, and almond flavors. It’s frosted with a cream cheese frosting and superbly embellished to make one spectacular and ridiculously tasty dessert! Recipe features a how-to video.
A Not-So-Italian Cream Cake
By fashionable request! After a slew of emails asking for an Italian cream cake, I’ve lastly created my very own recipe that I’m excited to share with you in the present day.
Italian cream desserts are recognized for having a smooth cake crumb loaded with pecans and coconut. I wished mine to be plush and completely dense (however with a crumb nearer to vanilla cake than pound cake), sturdy sufficient to deal with three layers and hold chopped pecans suspended within the batter, but nonetheless capable of soften in your mouth. Difficult, proper? Proper.
It took a number of makes an attempt to nail this one down, and finally, I ended up utilizing a modified model of my Chantilly cake. I nixed the brown sugar in order that the almond taste may shine, used the reverse creaming technique for a gorgeous, smooth crumb, and topped every thing off with a THICK layer of cream cheese frosting, with only some small tweaks from my well-loved recipe. You’re going to adore it, even when it’s not actually Italian (extra on that beneath!).
This Cake Is a Winner in Each Division:
- Taste: distinctive, but nonetheless tastes comforting and acquainted.
- Seems: three stately layers topped with luscious cream cheese frosting; it’s virtually as spectacular as my cheesecake stuffed chocolate cake!
- Texture: the coconut and pecans all through add a satisfying chunk to the in any other case smooth crumb.
- Ease: reverse creaming takes a smidge extra time, however makes it almost unattainable to wreck the crumb of the cake. This recipe is foolproof!
What You Want
Right here’s what you’ll want for a brilliant flavorful Italian cream cake:
- Almond extract. Utilizing almond extract in each the frosting and cake offers it a brilliant and engaging taste with out being overwhelming; you’ll virtually marvel what it’s that’s giving the cake such a wonderfully balanced taste (in the event you’ve tried my angel meals cake, you understand what I’m speaking about!)!
- Buttermilk. I really like utilizing buttermilk in desserts so as to add moisture and taste. When you’re in a pinch, you should utilize my buttermilk substitute, however I’d actually suggest utilizing the true stuff for this one.
- Pecans. When you’d like to make use of toasted pecans, toast them earlier than you chop, in any other case they’re more likely to burn.
- Coconut. We’ll use sweetened coconut within the cake and chopped toasted coconut for the ornament. I shared a publish yesterday exhibiting tips on how to toast coconut, so examine that out in the event you’ve by no means achieved it earlier than.
- Cream cheese. Use brick-style, full-fat cream cheese; anything may make your frosting too humorous.
SAM’S TIP: I frost my Italian cream cake very generously (thick frosting is kind of an indicator of the cake, actually); in the event you choose a extra modest quantity of frosting and don’t plan to do an ornamental border, I counsel you divide the frosting recipe in half.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Easy methods to Make Italian Cream Cake
- Mix the dry substances in a big bowl, then combine within the butter one tablespoon at a time (that is the reverse creaming technique I exploit with my caramel cake, versus creaming collectively the butter and sugar first).
- Whisk the moist substances collectively, then drizzle this combination into the butter/flour combination whereas mixing on low pace.
- Fold within the pecans and coconut with a spatula, then divide the batter between three greased, floured, and parchment-lined pans.
- Bake for half-hour, then let the desserts cool of their pans for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Cream collectively the butter and cream cheese till easy, then stir within the extracts and salt.
- Regularly add the powdered sugar and hold mixing till the icing is easy and creamy.
- Degree your desserts if wanted, then unfold a thick layer of frosting excessive of 1 layer. Repeat till all layers have been frosted.
- Unfold a skinny layer of frosting across the complete cake and refrigerate for Quarter-hour.
- End frosting and add ornamental swirls on high, if desired.
- Press a mix of toasted coconut and finely chopped pecans up the edges of the cake and flippantly sprinkle any extra in your piped swirls.
SAM’S TIP: Just about the one technique to mess up this cake is to overbake it, so be certain to check the cake for doneness a minute or two early to be secure!
Regularly Requested Questions
Surprisingly, Italian cream cake is not really Italian! It’s believed to have originated within the southern USA, which isn’t shocking contemplating it’s studded with nuts each inside and outside (all the most effective southern desserts appear to include nuts, like my Texas sheet cake).
Although its not really from the Mediterranean, it nonetheless tastes as brilliant and flavorful as a real Italian dessert!
Sure, though it needs to be tremendous at room temperature in an hermetic container for about 48 hours. After that, positively put it within the fridge (nonetheless in an hermetic container!).
You may, however basic Italian cream desserts are made with cream cheese icing and I’ve discovered the cake actually advantages from the slight tang of a cream cheese frosting. When you’d like to change issues up, whipped cream frosting or Swiss meringue buttercream could be good options!
So, how did I do? When you requested for this recipe, let me know the way you prefer it within the feedback beneath!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! When you do that recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Fb
Italian Cream Cake
Servings: 12 servings
Frosting (sure, it’s loads, see notice)
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and totally grease and flour three 8” (20cm) spherical cake pans (moreover I wish to line the bottoms of every pan with a spherical of parchment paper to forestall sticking).
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a big mixing bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment) and stir till fully mixed.
With mixer on medium-speed, add butter, one piece at a time, stirring till fully mixed after every addition and earlier than including the subsequent piece. Proceed till all butter has been added. Combination will probably be sandy as soon as all butter is integrated.
In a big measuring cup, whisk collectively buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and almond extract.
With mixer on low-speed, slowly drizzle buttermilk combination into the batter till fully integrated. Pause periodically to scrape down the edges and backside of the bowl with a spatula to make sure all substances are fully mixed.
Use a spatula to stir in coconut and pecans till fully mixed.
Evenly divide batter into ready baking pans and switch to the middle rack of 350F (175C) preheated oven for half-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear or with moist crumbs (see notice in case your oven doesn’t match all three pans without delay, or in the event you would not have three pans!).
Permit desserts to chill of their pans for 10-Quarter-hour, then run a knife across the edge to loosen cake from the pan and invert every layer onto a cooling rack to chill fully earlier than adorning. Whereas desserts cool, put together the frosting.
In a big mixing bowl utilizing an electrical mixer (or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) mix butter and cream cheese and beat on low-speed till creamy and well-combined,
Add vanilla extract, almond extract and salt and stir to mix,
With mixer on low-speed, step by step add powdered sugar till all has been added. Scrape sides and backside of bowl and stir once more. Frosting needs to be easy and creamy.
Degree desserts if desired/vital. Place one cake on serving platter and unfold a thick, even layer of frosting excessive. Repeat with the subsequent two layers. Easy a skinny layer of frosting evenly across the complete cake to catch the crumbs then place the cake within the fridge for Quarter-hour (that is your “crumb coat”, it should guarantee your outer layer of frosting stays pristine.
Take away cake from fridge and unfold an excellent layer of frosting over the whole cake. Use remaining frosting to pipe ornamental swirls on high of the cake (I used the Ateco 846 piping tip).
If desired, instantly after frosting the cake, combine collectively finely chopped pecans and toasted coconut and press midway up the facet of the cake. Mud the highest of every swirl with a light-weight sprinkling of pecan/coconut combination.
Bake desserts within the heart rack of your oven (don’t place cake tins on totally different racks, they gained’t bake correctly). In case your oven doesn’t bake evenly, chances are you’ll have to rotate the pans midway by means of baking or simply remember that some tins might bake quicker than others. In case your oven doesn’t match all three tins within the heart rack, it’s tremendous to depart one sitting on the counter till the primary two have baked, the lone cake might have a minute much less time within the oven.
This recipe might also be made in three 9” pans, however might want to bake for much less time (begin checking at 25 minutes).
Since Italian Cream Muffins are well-known for his or her luscious cream cheese frosting, I wasn’t about to scrimp on the quantity for my recipe. This recipe as written makes sufficient frosting to generously cowl the whole cake in addition to to do the ornamental border on high. If you need a extra modest quantity of frosting and no ornamental border, be happy to divide the recipe in half.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 48 hours or within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Cake might also be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 1088kcal | Carbohydrates: 144g | Protein: 9g | Fats: 56g | Saturated Fats: 31g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 16g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 502mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 119g | Vitamin A: 1426IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.