On the lookout for a wholesome snack thought for teenagers? Meet the Snack Platter: simple, enjoyable, and stuffed with nutritious stuff.
Thanks to Want Farms for sponsoring this submit. They’re a 4th technology household farm that produces berries together with Pink-a-Boo® Pineberries, the brand new blush-pink berries on the plate above.
As a dietitian, I get a whole lot of questions: Is sugar toxic? (No.) Ought to I am going on a type of juice cleanses? (Additionally no.)
However some of the frequent questions I get is that this: What sorts of snacks ought to I feed my children?
My reply is that typical “enjoyable” snacks–all of the stuff marketed as snack meals like chips, cookies, and cheese crackers–are completely nice typically.
However more often than not, snacks ought to merely appear like the form of meals you serve at mealtime, like fruits, greens, entire grains, meats, beans, cheese, and nuts.
As a result of if you happen to solely serve “enjoyable” snacks to your youngster at snack time, meals–with their boring ol’ common meals–are going to lose their attraction.
Fortunately, there’s a approach to rework that meals into one thing particular: The Snack Platter.
What’s a snack platter?
I’ll allow you to in on somewhat secret: The snack platter is definitely simply meals. On a plate. But after I announce, “I made a snack platter!” my children are psyched.
The truth is, a number of years in the past I overheard my son boasting to his associates, “My mother makes the BEST snack platters!”
Typically, all you want is somewhat re-branding.
Fundamental method for a snack platter
- A dip like hummus, nut butter, ranch dip, or guacamole
- Acquainted grains like crackers, pita, and pretzels
- Protein-rich meals like hard-boiled egg, cheese, rolled-up deli meat, edamame, or leftover roasted rooster
- Veggies or fruits they already like, whether or not that’s child carrots or grapes
- Veggies and fruits which can be much less acquainted or surprising, like these Pink-a-Boo® Pineberries proven beneath, that are a reasonably blush-pink when ripe (scroll all the way down to learn extra and see the place you could find them in your space)
The perks of a snack platter
- The number of meals implies that your children will get a mixture of vitamins, like completely different nutritional vitamins and minerals.
- You may clear out the chances and ends out of your fridge and pantry, and a very random assortment of meals will look purposely fancy.
- Much less acquainted meals look much less intimidating alongside issues they already like, and veggies which may be a tough promote at mealtime look enjoyable and extra-appetizing.
- It doesn’t contain slicing something into enjoyable shapes or making a face on meals (although if that’s your factor, that’s cool too!).
- On a very hectic night time, a Snack Platter can even change into dinner.
How large ought to your snack platter be?
You already know your child and their urge for food finest. Be sure you maintain snacks far sufficient away from dinner to construct an urge for food once more.
What must you use for a snack platter?
Only a common plate. Or use a small tray. It’s also possible to get away your “good” plates or a elaborate serving dish to make it really feel extra particular. Collect smaller gadgets like cheese cubes or berries utilizing silicone muffin cups (right here’s the rectangle dimension I’ve).
One other snack thought for teenagers that’s nice for youthful ones: Fill the compartments of a muffin tin with meals.
About Pink-a-Boo® Pineberries
Pineberries are a cross between a Florida crimson strawberry and a Japanese white strawberry, pale pink when ripe and dotted with crimson seeds. They’re candy like strawberries with a touch of pineapple taste. That is the primary yr they’re broadly obtainable, so verify the produce aisle (See the place you could find pineberries in your space). These would make a enjoyable shock on a snack platter!
Extra snack concepts