For those who’re trying to find a simple and flavorful dish to make use of up your zucchini, look no additional than this garlic and herb-infused feta cheese zucchini casserole. Bursting with oregano, thyme, basil, and garlic, this straightforward vegetable facet dish bakes in half-hour and doesn’t require any pre-cooking.
I figured you’d admire a vegetable-packed facet dish in between all of the candy choices. My whole household beloved this feta zucchini bake, youngsters included. Let me present you the way it comes collectively.
Inform Me About This Feta & Herb Zucchini Casserole
- Texture: Every chunk of this casserole is full of crisp bread crumbs and zucchini that’s baked simply till tender, earlier than it reaches a soggy, over-baked texture. A little bit heavy cream and an egg maintain the zucchini collectively so the dish is like (however not as heavy as) a tacky casserole.
- Taste: Herby, salty, and tangy with a bit little bit of kick from the elective crimson pepper flakes. For those who love recent and garlicky herb flavors, you’ll love this one! I take advantage of basil, thyme, and oregano, however be at liberty to swap in some parsley and/or rosemary.
- Ease: All you’re doing is mixing many of the elements collectively and spreading them right into a casserole dish. There’s no pre-cooking required, however the zucchini advantages from a fast 10 minute blot/drain to rid some moisture.
A number of texture, plenty of taste, little prepwork!
Seize These Components:
Every ingredient has a particular job, so I don’t suggest leaving any out. Nonetheless, be at liberty to substitute with my strategies. Right here’s a short rundown so that you perceive the significance of every:
- Feta Cheese: Tangy crumbled feta cheese is my really helpful selection for this dish, however shredded white cheddar, smoked gouda, Gruyère, or pepper jack for a bit kick could be nice alternate options.
- Basil, Oregano, & Thyme: Taste! I take advantage of a mixture of recent and dried herbs. See recipe Word beneath.
- Salt & Pepper: Extra taste! Additionally, a bit salt helps draw out some zucchini moisture in step 1.
- Garlic & Onion: Much more taste!
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs assist give the dish some substance. Combine some in with the zucchini and different elements after which prime the dish with extra breadcrumbs earlier than baking.
- Egg & Heavy Cream: You want some thick liquid within the combination to assist maintain the zucchini and cheese collectively. 1 egg and a bit heavy cream turned this right into a tasty, hearty casserole. I don’t suggest any substitutes for the egg, however half-and-half works inside the heavy cream. Milk or something decrease fats wouldn’t be excellent.
- Zucchini: Zucchini varies tremendously in measurement. You want 1.5 lbs, which is about 3-4 medium zucchini. After slicing and quartering, you’ll have about 6 cups or 600-700g. No must peel the zucchini.
- (Non-compulsory) Shredded Parmesan & Purple Pepper Flakes: To complete off the dish, add some parmesan (or extra feta cheese) on prime close to the tip of bake time. Earlier than serving, be at liberty so as to add a sprinkle of herbs and/or crimson pepper flakes for a bit of warmth.
Success Suggestions: Keep away from a Watery Casserole
Zucchini is a really moist ingredient which is why it’s so beautiful in baked items… moisture! In major dishes and sides like this feta zucchini bake, nonetheless, all of this moisture may give you a really soggy dish. To fight this:
- Reduce the zucchini thick: Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch thick slices and quarter them.
- Blot/drain for 10 minutes: Calmly sprinkle the zucchini items with salt, place right into a towel-lined colander, cowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Blot flippantly, after which use within the recipe.
You additionally wish to keep away from over-baking, so comply with the baking instructions beneath. If baked too lengthy, the zucchini turns into overly mushy to the purpose of tasting mushy.
Combine many of the elements collectively in 1 bowl after which unfold right into a greased baking dish:
Need some coloration? Chop up a crimson bell pepper and add it proper into the bowl with every little thing else.
Bake, coated, for 25 minutes after which prime with parmesan or extra feta cheese. Return to the oven uncovered for five extra minutes. Garnish with crimson pepper flakes and/or extra herbs for serving.
Serve With These Dinner Favorites
Immediately’s feta zucchini casserole would pair splendidly with the next:
Bursting with oregano, thyme, basil, and garlic, this straightforward vegetable facet dish bakes in half-hour and doesn’t require any pre-cooking. To keep away from a soggy dish, draining/blotting the zucchini in step 1 is essential.
- Slice zucchini into 1/2-inch thick slices after which quarter every slice. It’s best to have a bit over 6 cups or 600-700g of quartered/chopped zucchini. Sprinkle flippantly with salt (reserve the 1/4 teaspoon of salt for step 3… that is only a mild sprinkle). Line a colander with a clear kitchen towel or paper towels. Place zucchini in lined colander. Let sit for simply 10 minutes. Blot dry as finest you’ll be able to.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Grease a 2.5-quart baking dish. (See Word beneath for suggestions on finest pans to make use of.)
- In a big bowl, whisk the heavy cream and egg collectively. Stir within the the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, feta cheese, and three Tablespoons (21g) breadcrumbs. Stir within the zucchini. Unfold combination into ready baking dish. Prime evenly with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake, coated flippantly with aluminum foil, for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese. Return to the oven, uncovered, and bake for five extra minutes or till zucchini is tender. For a crispier/browner prime, change the oven to broil and broil for the final 30 seconds. (If skipping the cheese topping, you continue to wish to bake the dish for five minutes uncovered.)
- Take away from the oven and sprinkle flippantly with crimson pepper flakes, if desired. Leftovers maintain effectively within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Reheat as desired.
- Baking Pan to Use (affiliate hyperlink): Use a baking dish that holds 2.5 quarts, resembling a 9-inch sq. baking dish, 9-inch or 10-inch springform pan, or an 11×7 inch pan. The pictured baking dish is the Marin 8×12 inch baking dish from Crate & Barrel.
- Heavy Cream: You need to use half-and-half as an alternative, however I strongly suggest heavy cream. Don’t use milk.
- Herbs: Be happy to substitute different herbs resembling rosemary or parsley.
- Cheese: Tangy crumbled feta cheese is my really helpful selection for this dish, however shredded white cheddar, smoked gouda, Gruyère, or pepper jack for a bit kick could be nice alternate options.
Key phrases: feta herb zucchini bake, zucchini facet dish
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail collection is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.