Sure, from its banana-and-Vanilla Wafer base to its toasted Swiss Meringue topping, this decadent Chocolate-Hazelnut-Banana Pudding is made utterly from scratch—however with a chocolate-hazelnut twist.
- 3 cups (720 grams) entire milk
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (48 grams) cornstarch
- 3 giant eggs (150 grams)
- 6 giant egg yolks (114 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (18 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (64 grams) chocolate-hazelnut unfold*
- 4 cups (800 grams) ¼-inch-sliced ripe bananas (about 5 medium bananas)
- Vanilla Wafers (recipe follows)
- Swiss Meringue (recipe follows)
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, warmth milk over medium warmth till steaming. (Don’t boil.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively sugar, cornstarch, eggs, egg yolks, flour, vanilla bean paste, and salt. Regularly whisk sizzling milk into sugar combination. Return combination to saucepan, and cook dinner over medium warmth, whisking continuously, till bubbly and really thick, 4 to six minutes. Pressure by ready sieve. Cowl with a bit of plastic wrap, urgent wrap instantly onto floor of pudding to forestall a pores and skin from forming. Let cool utterly.
- Switch 2 cups (510 grams) pudding to a different medium bowl; whisk in chocolate-hazelnut unfold till easy.
- Within the backside of a 9-inch sq. baking dish, place banana slices and Vanilla Wafers in a single layer, alternating between the 2. Spoon chocolate-hazelnut pudding on high, smoothing with an offset spatula. Place banana slices and wafers in a single layer, alternating between the 2, on high of pudding. Spoon vanilla pudding on high, smoothing with an offset spatula. Place bananas and Vanilla Wafers in a single layer, alternating between the 2 in a checkerboard-like sample. Cowl and refrigerate for 3 hours or as much as in a single day. Earlier than serving, spoon Swiss Meringue on high, spreading as desired with an offset spatula. Utilizing a handheld kitchen torch, calmly brown meringue. Enhance with remaining Vanilla Wafers and remaining banana slices. Serve instantly.
Notice: For softer cookies, refrigerate assembled pudding in a single day.
- 3⅓ cups (417 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 giant egg whites (120 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (36 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Utilizing a everlasting marker, draw 30 (1½-inch) circles every on 2 sheets of parchment paper (60 circles complete), and place, marker aspect down, on 2 rimmed baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively flour and baking powder.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively sugar, melted butter, and salt. Add egg whites, vanilla bean paste, and vanilla extract, whisking till easy. Fold flour combination into sugar combination till easy. Switch batter to a pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch spherical piping tip. Pipe batter into drawn circles. Utilizing a finger dipped in water, easy tops if obligatory.
- Bake till edges are golden brown, 15 to twenty minutes, rotating pans midway by baking. Let cool utterly on pans. Use Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
- 1 cup (200 grams) castor sugar
- 4 giant egg whites (120 grams), room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Within the heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk collectively castor sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Prepare dinner, whisking continuously, till sugar utterly dissolves and an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C).
- Fastidiously return bowl to face mixer. Utilizing the whisk attachment, beat at excessive velocity till stiff peaks type and bowl is cool to the contact, 4 to five minutes. Beat in vanilla.