My Candy Tea recipe makes use of a particular secret ingredient for the BEST taste! It comes collectively in simply quarter-hour and might be loved straight away–no ready required. Recipe features a how-to video!
An Ice-Chilly Glass of Sunshine
Candy tea is a quintessential summer season drink within the north and a year-round, staple beverage within the south. Whereas you could find it in just about any restaurant or simply make it at dwelling, a very wonderful candy tea might be exhausting to return by. I did heaps of testing to provide you with the BEST candy tea recipe, and all of my style testers agreed–that is it!
Many recipes have you ever stir the sugar in on the finish, however I’ve discovered that making a easy syrup first after which steeping the tea within the scorching (not boiling) syrup not solely creates a greater, extra even taste, however it additionally saves time (and dishes!). I nonetheless advocate stirring the tea earlier than pouring, however you now gained’t have to fret about undissolved sugar granules.
Why You’ll Love My Recipe:
- Could be poured over ice instantly–no ready required!
- Makes use of a “secret” ingredient that enhances the flavour (you in all probability already use it if you happen to’re from the south!).
- Is completely candy with out being knock-you-in-the-face-make-you-sick candy, like some variations are.
- Makes a half-gallon of tea, however can simply be doubled to make extra!
What You Want
My candy tea recipe has an unbelievable taste regardless of being uncomplicated. Right here’s what it’s good to make it:
- Baking soda. I do know, I do know–it could appear bizarre so as to add baking soda to iced tea, however belief me! Baking soda provides the tea a deeper, smoother, extra rounded taste. Some individuals will say it makes no distinction or is merely added for aesthetic causes (to maintain the tea from getting cloudy), however that’s completely not the case! Baking soda adjustments the flavour in such a profound method that my little sister (and largest candy tea aficionado that I do know) exclaimed “That is the very best candy tea I’ve ever tasted!” when attempting a sip. The vast majority of my blind taste-testers agreed; the pitcher made with baking soda merely tasted higher and “extra like candy tea” than the one with out. When you actually should go away it out, you may, however I can promise your tea gained’t style almost pretty much as good.
- Black tea. Use a regular-sized (not the big ones for iced tea), unflavored black tea luggage, like Lipton, Tetley, or Crimson Rose. I like to recommend steeping the tea luggage for a most of 10 minutes; steeping for longer will produce a stronger tea, however may make it bitter. You additionally don’t wish to squeeze the tea luggage for a similar motive.
- Sugar. You’ll be able to’t have candy tea with out sugar! My recipe entails dissolving the sugar to create a easy syrup as an alternative of simply including it in on the finish; this ensures a tea that’s smoother and extra evenly flavored.
- Lemon juice. Including lemon juice is elective, however I extremely advocate it. It makes for a extra flavorful tea with simply the correct quantity of tart to stability the sweetness.
SAM’S TIP: Ensure that the pitcher you’re utilizing is heat-safe! Some glass pitchers will shatter with scorching liquids, and for the reason that tea remains to be very heat once we add it to the pitcher, you wish to make sure yours can deal with it.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
The way to Make It
- Carry 3 cups of water, sugar, and baking soda to a boil over medium excessive warmth, then take away from the warmth.
- Add your tea luggage to the pot and allow them to steep for 10 minutes earlier than discarding (don’t squeeze them!).
- Pour your tea into a big, heat-proof pitcher, then add the lemon juice and remaining water.
- Stir effectively, pour over ice, and luxuriate in!
SAM’S TIP: Don’t add the tea luggage to the boiling water; you may burn the tea and create a foul taste. As an alternative, take away the syrup from the warmth and let the boiling cease (this could occur instantly), then add your tea luggage.
Steadily Requested Questions
Some individuals add baking soda for readability, however I add it for taste. Simply as in my tomato soup, baking soda helps neutralize the acidity of the tea to offer it a easy, rounded taste. It is a traditional ingredient in southern recipes, and I extremely advocate together with it for greatest outcomes–it’s only a tiny quantity!
Lemon slices, orange slices, mint leaves, and even frozen raspberries or peaches are all nice additions to iced tea. Or, you may make an Arnold Palmer by mixing your tea with lemonade!
Very first thing’s first, it’s scorching within the southern United States, and iced tea is extraordinarily refreshing. All apparent notions apart, the south is dwelling to the biggest business tea plantation within the US, so it’s no shock that southerners like their tea. Iced tea particularly is claimed to have turn out to be standard throughout prohibition, when punches that may sometimes embody tea and alcohol might now not be spiked. Clearly shoppers nonetheless discover tea refreshing by itself, lengthy after booze made its comeback!
I’d love to listen to how you want this one (significantly if you happen to’re from the south!)–let me know within the feedback under!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! When you do this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
Servings: 8 servings (1 cup per serving)
Stop your display from going darkish
Mix 3 cups of water (310ml), sugar, and baking soda in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high warmth.
Carry to a boil, stirring sometimes, then instantly take away from warmth.
Add tea luggage and steep for 10 minutes. Raise tea luggage from the tea and permit them to drip (don’t squeeze), then discard.
Pour tea into a big pitcher.
Add lemon juice, if utilizing, then add remaining 5 cups (1.2L) chilly water and stir effectively.
Tea could also be served instantly poured over ice, or retailer within the fridge for a number of hours earlier than serving. All the time stir earlier than pouring.
Whereas the baking soda could possibly be omitted, I don’t advocate it. I take into account it a key ingredient for a easy however robustly flavored candy tea. Only a pinch goes a good distance!
Retailer in a lined pitcher for as much as 3-4 days. Good luck getting it to final that lengthy!
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 1g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 8mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.